Electrical Control & Protection Systems
Electrical control & protection systems are a critical part of the distribution & transmission systems that feed power to our cities & industries.
The aim of this course is to introduce all of the basic principles associated with these complex systems.
The course will go into detail for the following key topics :-
- Introduce all of the key symbols, equipment’s and architecture of a substation protection system
- Show the basic principles behind electrical protection philosophy
- Look at three phase currents and see how they can be broken down into sequence components and harmonics.
- Provide the basic principles behind current transformers, how they operate and need to be connected
- Show how voltage transformers operate and introduce the key types
- Go into detail on what happens when a fault occurs on the system
- Look into circuit breaker control and protection systems and how they interact with the protection systems.
- The main protection relay we will look at on this course is over protection. We go into detail on the basic and more advanced versions and show how this relay can be put to good use to provide great fault discrimination
- Look at the different types of earth fault relays and see how they can be used to protect some key equipments
By the end of the course the student will be able to identify all of the key components of a protection & control system and understand how all of these components fit together to create a fully integrated system.